Surabhi Mukhi, APDN Textiles Project Manager
Image source: https://bit.ly/2pQEgKR
What are the criteria associated with sustainable packaging?
- Beneficial, safe and healthy for individuals and communities throughout its life cycle.
- Meets market criteria for both performance and cost.
- Sourced, manufactured, transported, and recycled using renewable energy.
- Optimizes the use of renewable and/or recycled source materials.
- Manufactured using clean production technologies and adheres to best practices.
- Physically designed to optimize materials and energy.
- Materials are effectively recovered and utilized in biological and/or industrial closed loop cycles.
- Assess environmental impacts associated with all stages of a product’s life from cradle to grave.
What materials are used?
- Bioplastics from non-food (cellulosic) biomass sources
- Biodegradable (PLA)
- Agricultural residues such as corn stover, bagasse or oat hulls
- Focus on multi-product manufacturing (biorefinery) molded fiber packaging
- Plastic pouch in molded pulp clamshell (Ecologic, GreenBottle)
- Molded pulp protective packaging
- Fiber based bottle, hemp
What is the conclusion?
Sustainability and sustainable packaging is a critical component of corporate strategy. Objective and science-based approaches are necessary to measure sustainability performance. Sustainable packaging presents several opportunities in value chain.